Grand Canyon

 


Note: all links in this blog are secure and will take you to our photo albums, videos, or to a secure website.
Click on any photo to enlarge it.

Link to South Kaibab Trail videoSouth Kaibab to Ooh-Aah Point
Link to Bright Angel Trail videoBright Angel Trail
Link to photo album: Grand Canyon Photos

I've been hearing a little voice lately. I tried to ignore it but it was pretty persistent. The Grand Canyon was calling me. "It's time. You've been away too long. I miss you. Come see me." Okay, I finally gave in, secured a campsite, we loaded up Romin, and set off for 5 days of pure bliss with Mother Nature. 

The Grand Canyon is one of the 7 wonders of the natural world and it's in my backyard! Being a nature lover, this is a welcome sanctuary from a crazy world. No politics, no news talking heads, no electronics, no pressure; just beauty, relaxation, meditation, and dramatic, breathtaking terrain stretching as far as you can see. No picture or description can show the true depth and breadth and beauty of the many moods of the canyon; you just have to see it in person. If you haven't been fortunate enough to visit this amazing park, please put it on your bucket list. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. There's nothing like it.

We had a good campsite in the shade of several tall lodgepole pines. As we pulled into the campsite, we had to wait for a female elk to exit. She was in no hurry and was just munching away on the grass. 


She finally moved on and we went about setting up camp. 


It was still early when we finished, so we took a ride over to Mather Point. This is probably the most popular canyon overlook, but it wasn't too crowded this afternoon.




South Kaibab Trail
My last encounter with this trail was when I hiked the canyon rim to rim. (Grand Canyon Rim to Rim blog) This time, we're only going to Ooh-Aah Point (yes, that is actually its name, for obvious reasons, and so many feel the need to say "Oooooh, Aaaaah when they get there...LOL). It's about 2 steep miles round trip and not for the novice hiker. 9 switchbacks greet you as you enter the trail and descend along the cliff face, dropping about 300 feet into the canyon. The sheer drop-off can be very terrifying for those with a fear of heights. I used to be one of those people but I've done a lot of hikes where I literally clung to the canyon wall as I inched my way across (Canyon Overlook in Zion was one), so this was now a piece of cake to me. Once you get past the switchbacks, the trail levels off to a gentler descent. My biggest gripe about this trail is the seemingly infinite number of stairs the park built into the trail. Some are small, some are really tall, and my short legs don't navigate them very well. It makes for a very tiring hike. It's a beautiful hike though; but difficulty aside, I really like this trail. It took us about an hour to get to Ooh-Aah and 2 hours to hike out. It was a hot day, but luckily we started early and had plenty of water and shade in which to rest on the way up.


Time for some lunch at El Tovar! You really can't go to the Grand Canyon without having at least one meal in El Tovar. Built in 1905 at a cost of $250,000, this hotel sits right on the edge of the Canyon with stunning views out the windows as you relax and eat your meal. Talk about location, location, location!! I personally can't go there without indulging in French Onion Soup. It is literally the best onion soup I've ever had. It cost $10.50 for a small cup, but it was worth every spoonful. My stomach is growling just thinking about it!


Bright Angel Trail

(Bright Angel trail from Trailview Overlook)

Pete's knees were bothering him from the South Kaibab hike, so I hiked the Bright Angel Trail by myself. I missed his company, but it was something I really wanted to do. I started out a bit later than I should have and immediately felt the heat generated off the canyon walls as I descended. From Trailview Overlook it looks like the trail will be challenging, but it wasn't that bad. I didn't think it was as difficult as the South Kaibab Trail. This trail also has its share of stairs as well as mule traffic, so you're navigating the steps while dodging mule crap and urine. Apparently, they don't like the stairs either! I saw some bighorn sheep and several hungry squirrels begging for food, but all in all, it was an uneventful hike and the views were stunning.


I was starting to get really hot and realized I had to turn around before I made it to the first rest station. I was deeply disappointed but without knowing how much further I had to go, I decided it was in my best interest to turn around. Pete was watching my progress on the trail from the Trailview Overlook and said I was less than a hundred yards from the rest stop. I should have texted him before I turned around! All in all, it was a great hike. Maybe someday I'll make it all the way to the river, but that would be a 16-mile round-trip.

As Pete was hanging out at the Trailview Overlook, he spotted a condor soaring over the trail. This is an extraordinarily rare catch as there are less than 500 condors remaining in the wild and captivity. Efforts to save the species have brought their numbers up from 23 in 1983. They are not yet safe from extinction, but hopefully, ongoing efforts will successfully save the species. This incredible bird has a wingspan of over 10 feet and weighs up to 33 pounds. 

(California Condor)

Lastly, we took a drive out to the Desert View Watchtower. This is about a 23-mile drive and is at the eastern entrance to the canyon. 

(Desert View Watchtower)

This is one of the few canyon viewpoints where you can actually see a good length of the Colorado River. 


You used to be able to go inside the tower and explore all the levels to the top, however, you now need a reservation and a ticket to enter, and you're only limited to 20 minutes. So we didn't get to go in this time. Once again, thanks Covid for rearranging the world. 

All in all, it was a great trip and went by too fast.  I could easily spend weeks up there. I never tire of the beauty that is the Grand Canyon and am looking forward to next time. In the meantime, I'll be training for another Rim to Rim hike in October of 2024! 


I can't forget to acknowledge our faithful companion, Romin, whom this blog is about.  Thanks for a wonderful trip!



Until next time,

Peace & Love
Pete & Lori 



Comments